Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Thoughts on Motherhood: Life-giving love


Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty wrote:

"The most important person on earth is a mother. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral- a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's body...

The angels have not been blessed with such a grace. They cannot share in God's creative miracle to bring new saints to Heaven. Only a human mother can. Mothers are closer to God the Creator than any other creature; God joins forces with mothers in performing this act of creation."

I am reading a book right now called Life Giving Love by Kimberly Hahn, and y'all, it is rocking my world! She is a mother of 6 and married to Scott- a professor, speaker, writer, etc. Here is a snippet of some of the encouragement and joy that I get to read:



"We must treasure the time we have right now with little ones underfoot. These truly are the good old days we will remember in the future! This time of intensive care for the children will go faster than we think; ask any older person. The we will watch them go out the door in search of adult adventures..."

or this:

Some of us have wrestled with the question of openness to life and are in the midst of find a creative way to say no to our Heavenly Father... How can we know? First we must pray for wisdom, for "if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all men generously and without reproaching, and it will be given to him." (Jas 1:5) Second, we must examine our motivationL Is it faith or fear? If it faith, then simply pray the words, "increase my faith." (Luke 17:5) And He will."

Thanks, Nicole Trahan, for the gift of this book and your friendship. They is changing my life.

4 comments:

Claire said...

Why thank you, beautiful mother, for this post! So aptly timed, as I will become a mother of three as of TOMORROW! Giant Baby Willis must come out. Keep me in your prayers. Love you!

Adrienne said...

Thanks for these beautiful thoughts! You are a wonderful mother!
We got to see Ben this weekend! He bragged on your gorgeous children! We love yall!

Eric and Jessica said...

This book is one of my favorites! Eric read it in college, then gave it to me to read - it's so wonderful! I think I may have to re-read it now!

Sam and Jeanna Broussard said...

Yes! Thanks for the reminder of a great book. I read it in college as well and it changed my thinking on being open to life. Now that i am a mom i need to read it again!