We have just completed the 4th week of homeschooling, and around the second week, Micah decided that he did not want to sleep swaddled... nor in his swing for 2 1/2hrs at a time. Jacob decided that he wanted to be in John Paul's chair doing John Paul's work in John Paul's workbooks with John Paul's pencil... while John Paul was attempting to do/use all these things. Jacob also decided that he didn't like me working with John Paul in our little classroom set-up....
Home schooling a Kindergartener with the Mother of Divine Grace curriculum means that for about an hour a day for four days of the week. An in that short amount of time, the following has occurred... which I will put in bullet form so as not to get over dramatic (because I just never do that, right?)
Trials/Challenges/opportunities for growth/spiritual stretching/tidbits that might lead me to insanity:
- Jacob wants his passy it seems all the time, and very long/large tantrums ensue if I do not let him have it. We have (I should say HAD) a rule that he only gets it to sleep... b/c that's what the rule has always been. From the advice of many a friend, we just have to let it go for now, unless I decide that I like him following me around crying and saying "pah... pah!!"
- Our little foyer classroom doesn't seem to be working, because it seems to have the same effect on the little kids as my talking on the phone does:, fighting, fussiness, desire for passies, etc.
- David and I have begun using the Creighton Model Method for our Natural Family Planning method... the first 30 days of learning how to use the system requires abstinence... please see under consolations :)
- David aggravated a disc while exercising and it meant he couldn't exercise for over a week... or mow the grass... or for a few days even hold the baby boys!
- David's new job has required a lot of him lately- meetings in the evenings, conferences on a Saturday, a trip to New Orleans later this week, and a weekend marriage prep...please see under consolations :)
- The moments that both Jacob and Micah cry at the same time drive me to yell... yes yell... at the older two, who do not deserve such behavior.
- My cursing has kicked into high gear, and I can't seem to stop... can of worms. Need so much prayer for this if you don't mind.
- From the Diary of Saint Faustina (read immediately asking God for more sleep in order to be a better mom and wife): [Christ to Sister Faustina] "My beloved daughter... I will do what you ask, but continue to unite yourself continually with my agonizing heart..."
- David designed and got up and running a Domestic Church Website... so you can finally explore what I've been blabbing about in so many posts!
- A sweet friend came to bring clothes for Therese and stayed with me for the morning coaching me through what could have been a(nother) nervous breakdown.... and another friend stopped by with a diet dr pepper and my godchild (thanks, Carried and Kim)
- When about to breakdown to tears with both baby boys crying in my arms, and a friend showed up at my house and helped me through a chaotic time frame of trying to get Micah to sleep.
- We've broken the 30 day rule :)
- The engaged couples who will have David for their marriage prep weekend will be BLOWN AWAY... and are sure to gain a great understanding of the Church's teachings/God's plan for marriage!
- We celebrated our 6th anniversary with a date: Cousins Greek food, wine and dessert on a friend's warf, and champagne... in the same night!
- John Paul celebrated his Baptism Day!! 5 years a child of God!
- Micah has only needed to nurse once a night for the last 3 nights... I am getting more sleep just as God promised!
- A cup of coffee and some dump cake... which I'm currently eating.
- Mark 4:35-41 Jesus Calms the storm "Lord, how are you asleep when we are perishing? Jesus awake, rebuked the waves..."
- Weekly trips to Adoration on Wednesday nights!
- Homemade wine from one friend and homemade pesto from another. (Thank you Mak and Audra)
- A long phone conversation in the parking lot with with two different friends while having a pumpkin spice latte (love you Kate and Britney)
- John Paul has started soccer. First game, he did a cartwheel... second game, his coach has to tell him to stop helping everybody up when they fell.
- Homeschooling in and of itself is going super well! John Paul is so willing and able- picking up reading very quickly, working hard on his handwriting skills, warming up to "art" things, and gives me a thumbs up or a "you got it, Mom" every time I ask him to do something.
- A wonderful community and Domestic church circle... check out the website, y'all!
- A loving husband who comes home to me every day! Definitely the biggest consolation by far.
(By the way, this is David 10 years ago... looks about the same, doesn't he? Oh, I am so in love, what a gift and a consolation he is to me)
I see from this post that the consolations far outweigh the trials... and while I am pushed to my limit every day recently, I know that God is lovingly bringing me to the place where I've always wanted to be... covered in my kids and totally devoted to my family and my God! As a friend said the other day... "At the end of the day, it's about souls."
I'll end with a prayer that is also a Scripture verse: "Lord increase my faith"